Introduction to Map & Compass Course Information
About the course:
The aim of the Introduction to Map & Compass Course is to provide participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to undertake the navigation component of bushwalks.
The course is ideally suited to those with little or no experience of bushwalking navigation.
What you will be able to do at the end of it:
At the end of the course you will be able to;
- Describe types of maps and their uses
- Interpret map symbols and use the grid reference system
- Measure distance and estimate time
- Complete a basic route plan
- Orientate the map and confirm current location
- Navigate from feature to feature in trackless terrain, adjusting course as necessary
- Identify features on the ground using a map and compass
- Identify areas for improvement to personal Bushwalking Navigation Skills
How the course is structured:
Each course is split into two parts run over a Friday evening and full day on the Saturday.
- Evening theory session - 6:00pm - 8:45pm - Classroom based presentation and small group/ individual activity.
- Full day practical session - 10:00am - 4:00pm - Kuitpo Forest - In depth practice of practical navigation techniques
The course isn’t formally assessed, although individual, supportive, feedback will be given throughout.
$99.00 (Full payment required at time of booking)
Ongoing Access to Online Resources
Map Reading Guide - How to use Topographic Maps (e-copy)
Carto Graphics Kuitpo Forest Reserve Map
Kuitpo Forest Orienteering Course Map
Speed/Distance/Time Calculation Card
A Variety of Compasses Are Provided For Participants to Use on the Course
What’s not included:
- Refreshments / Meals
- Personal Insurance
2021 Course dates & booking:
(Select chosen date to continue to booking)
(Please note that there are a maximum of 10 places available per course)